Monday, September 8, 2008

Need A Recipe, Call Your Sister

My mother loves to come visit me and bake goodies. This time, she brought over a bag of apples and some butter to make apple crisp. Problem was my recipe called for brown sugar and oatmeal which I did not have. I was determined NOT to go to the grocery store six miles away. I told her I could look for another one online, but she said, “Call your sister. I don’t think we used brown sugar when I made it out there.” (“Out there” would be New Orleans or Corpus Christi or wherever Carol was living at the time). I called Carol and told her we needed “The Apple Crisp recipe” and she replied, “Oh good, I need a recipe for a roast.” Carol looked up a recipe in a “Cookbook for Boys and Girls” that she admitted to using a lot. I asked Mom for the roast recipe and relayed it to Carol—dried onion soup mix and water or mushroom soup. Cook a half hour for every pound at 350 degrees. Easy. And here’s the easy apple crisp recipe which turned out to be pretty tasty:
8 c. apples, peeled and sliced
½ c. water
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 cups flour
2/3 c. butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Layer sliced apples into an ungreased 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan. Pour water in. Mix cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle in. Mash the butter into the flour to make crumbly. Cover the apples with the flour topping. Bake for 40 minutes.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter