Friday, March 28, 2008

Stupid Gas Station Customers

I was resetting my trip odometer after filling up my Honda Accord (for a whopping $44) and noticed a woman step between the gas pumps in front of my car and walk across the lot into the Cumbee Store. I was shocked to see that she was carrying a lit cigarette like it was nothing. The vehicle in front of me had an attached lawn maintenance trailer with several five-gallon gas containers. If an ash or her cigarette had dropped, we may all have been up in flames. There are “no smoking” signs at the station. I guess people don’t think. That’s how accidents happen.
After doing some online research, I found that there’s another culprit to blame for fires at the gas station. Static electricity. It’s on the rise, especially during cooler weather. The Petroleum Equipment Institute has even started a campaign called “Stop the Static.”. The rules for safe refueling are:
1. Turn off the engine.
2. Extinguish any cigarette.
3. Don't get in and out of the car during the refueling.
There’s a video that will surely convince you of the danger by showing how a spark from a girl’s sweater started a fire at the gas pump.

Be safe out there.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter