Thursday, January 17, 2008

Seven Gifts and Love

I attended the second Confirmation Catechism for my son on a Monday evening. Feeling tired and cold, I didn’t really want to be there, but got pulled into Father Bob’s compelling liturgy. He asked the students for examples of the seven gifts of confirmation (wisdom, knowledge, understanding, reverence, counsel, courage, and wonder and awe). Then, he put my son on the spot and asked him for an example of wonder and awe. “Haven’t you ever seen anything beautiful? Gimme an example of something beautiful.” My son couldn’t think of one. I think he wasn’t paying attention or felt shy. I immediately thought of a rainbow and a sunset. The woman behind me said “the Grand Canyon”. Yes, we could think of a lot of everyday things. Then, Father Bob, said, “Look in the mirror. What about your face, a child of God? That beautiful face of someone who cares and loves life.” What a wonderful thing to say.

Then, Father Bob told the students he would be interviewing them about confirmation: asking what it is, what it means to them, and how they can share their time and talents. He gave them one good tip. He said, when I ask you about confirmation or what it means, “You could say love… that’s a good answer for any question, almost.”

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter