Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Keep America Beautiful

Soda cans, plastic bottles, paper cups, cigarette packs and butts litter the right of way. I am shocked and disgusted by the items people throw out along the roadside. I went for a 45-minute walk in my country neighborhood and could have filled three large trash bags with the stuff strewn on the side of the road. My husband says I’ve adopted the main intersection to our neighborhood because I keep a small plastic bag in my car and occasionally stop to pick up cups and bottles. I figure someone’s got to do it. And that’s one of the reasons that people litter. They figure someone will clean it up. The other reasons are they have no sense of ownership or there’s already accumulated litter. I just wasn’t raised that way. Remember the “Keep America Beautiful” education campaigns in school? It’s our responsibility to preserve and protect our environment. I want to see green grass and blue skies when I travel, not trash. The next time you’re tempted to throw something out the window of your car, please wait until you see the next trash receptacle. Who keeps America beautiful? We all do.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter