Thursday, December 13, 2007

Addicted to Acupuncture

I like Mondays. That’s when my weekly acupuncture appointment is scheduled. I actually look forward to being stuck with needles! It’s the only time that I can really lie down, relax and feel like I’m floating without any drugs or alcohol. And I feel much better in 15 to 20 minutes. I first tried acupuncture when I was diagnosed with tendonitis in my left shoulder. I had tried physical therapy and taking NSAIDs, but was still in pain and had limited mobility. During that time, Oprah was featuring a woman on her show who had shoulder pain and tried acupuncture. I decided to try it. My general physician said, “It can’t hurt.” The first appointment entails giving your entire health history and getting a treatment. The acupuncturist also looks at your tongue and takes your pulse to determine what else is going on in your body. She can tell if you’re tired, nervous, or even if your bronchial passages are filled up. Then, you lie down on a table and the acupuncturist flicks hair-like needles into you. My acupuncturist uses a lot of needles, about 20. No, it doesn’t hurt. I wouldn’t look at them at first, but then curiosity got the better of me. I thought I looked like a human cactus with pins running from shoulders to points between my toes. The 3,000-year-old Chinese treatment is based upon qi (chee) or flow of meridians throughout your body. The needles help to improve the flow. My left shoulder is better, but she’s also improved my asthma, appetite, sleeping, and other ailments. So, I’m still going. I’m hooked.

2 comments:

Stephie Smith said...

Hmmm. I have a couple of comments, neither of which have to do with acupuncture. First comment... That's a lot of ones in your profile ... "one husband, one son, one dog, one cat and one fish." I'm wondering how much it would upset your life if you got a second husband...er, I mean fish. Second comment... if you like to read non-fiction, why do you only have fiction listed as your favorite books? I think someone's keeping a secret:-)

Judy Gasperini said...

Oops, I meant fiction, but was thinking the only book I commented on was non-fiction.
Yes, one is a lonely number. Actually, I'd like to give the aquarium away because it's hard to keep more than one fish alive in it.
Judy

 

Free Blog Counter